Dear Prospective Families,
Welcome to St. Mary’s Catholic School. We believe our school to be a place where we create a faith-filled, learning community that nurtures each child.
Our vision statement emphasizes that every child is a gift from God. St. Mary’s School understands parents need support as the primary educators of their children. As such, our school day revolves around prayer and a rigorous academic curriculum. Your child’s day includes religion classes, a weekly Mass as well as classes in art, music, physical education, and technology.
Our students’ success demonstrates our love for God and learning. Every week, they help lead Mass and, in fact, many become leaders in our parish. Their service projects reach beyond our walls into the community. Our students also place well at the regional science fair and math competitions. They have won statewide recognition for their achievements on college-level entry exams as well as poetry and history-essay contests.
The St. Mary’s School community began over 100 years ago in 1911 when a group of Religious Sisters came to Johnson City to create the school. In 1990, we moved from downtown Johnson City to our present location on East Lakeview Drive. We are certified by the state of Tennessee’s Department of Education and accredited by AdvanceED, a non-profit and non-partisan accrediting agency. We operate as one of the 10 schools in the Diocese of Knoxville. We welcome students of all faiths to our student body.
St. Mary’s School encompasses so many activities that we know your family will find a home with us. Consider just a few of these activities:
- A vibrant health and fitness program called the St. Mary’s School Student Wellness Council. This outreach includes an after-school running program called Kids Run the Nation, an expansive vegetable garden that helps supply our cafeteria, and nutrition instruction via a mobile kitchen.
- Home and School Association that supports our school with fund-raising as well as a Walk-a-Thon, a back-to-school pool party, and other gatherings for families.
- A school chorus that meets during the school day and sings for Masses and other gatherings. Our 4th graders learn to play recorders while our 8th graders learn guitar.
- Our middle-school students are paired as buddies with kindergarteners and first-graders, creating role models and bonds that last a lifetime.
- St. Mary’s students compete with parks-and-recreation sports teams as well as other community and traveling sports teams. We are a member of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association.
- Students compete in our annual Spelling Bee, Daughters of American Revolution essay contest, Monday Club Poetry contest, and the Duke University Talent Identification Program.
- All students in grades four through eight create science-fair projects for our school fair with winners participating in the East Tennessee Regional Science Fair.
- Our student council consists of middle-school students who carry out service and social activities.
We welcome you to schedule a tour with us. Your child can also shadow a St. Mary’s School student to learn more about attending our school. We appreciate that you are exploring our school. Please find out why we say “St. Mary’s School is a special place to be.”
St. Mary’s School Principal